Updating to Magento Open Source 2.0 (aka Community)
Magento 2.0 is the most powerful version of the world’s leading e-commerce platform, with structural changes that advance functionality while eliminating quirks of earlier generations. It provides a smoother, improved experience for users and administrators, so businesses can take their stores to the next level. Magento 2.0 is available with Community or Enterprise editions of the platform.
Magento Open Source 2.0 (formerly Community) is the free version of the open-source platform, available for anyone building an e-commerce store. With custom modifications and Magento extensions, Open Source can support a robust, progressive store. For those wanting the most flexible out-of-the-box platform, Commerce (formerly Enterprise) may be the right solution.
Magento Open Source 2.0 for Becoming an Industry Leader
Whether a B2C, B2B, or a blended company, updating to Magento Open Source 2.0 helps a site excel beyond its competitors. Key features include:
- Powerful, flexible, and extensive open source version of Magento ecosystem
- Full-page caching for improved speed and page loading
- Highly responsive, mobile-friendly framework
- Updated admin interface with improved product management features
- Improved developer toolset for faster site updates and template changes
- Component-oriented module structure
- Improved security features and additional payment integration options
- Additional themes, extensions, and integrations
- An updated technology stack, including PHP, Apache Composer, MySQL, HTML5, and jQuery
It’s simple: websites that perform better generate more sales. Once Magento 2.0 is implemented, a site becomes more flexible and scalable, enabling advanced features, seamless integrations, and improved productivity.
Next Steps for Building a Site in Magento Open Source 2.0
As retailers seek to improve efficiency and provide a better customer experience, updating to Magento 2.0 is a key factor. Please note: The degree of back-end structural updates Magento has made in 2.x means that backwards compatibility is not possible. Since Magento will be phasing out support and patches for 1.x, now is the time to update.
Harris Web Works is a Magento Business Solutions Partner, with a team of Magento-Certified developers and administrators. We have over a decade of experience building and managing Magento e-commerce sites, along with the strategic knowledge, technical expertise, hosting, and marketing resources to help your business grow.